What information do we collect about you?
When you place an order on the YourSurprise website, we ask you for your personal information. We require this information to deliver your gifts to the right address and to be able to contact you if we have a question about your order. We only collect your information for our own use and will never sell the information to third parties for commercial purposes.
- Name. We like to address you by name. This makes our interaction with you more personal.
- Address information. In order to be able to deliver your gifts as quickly as possible, we require your address information. Naturally, your address information will be shared with the delivery service so they know where to deliver the parcel.
- E-mail address. We use your email address to keep you updated on your order status. After your order has been delivered we will then ask you if you are happy with the gift and send you personal offers, on your birthday or one year customer anniversary for example.
- Date of birth. We use your date of birth to congratulate you and send you a nice gift on your birthday. It also helps us understand who our customers are. Definitely not mandatory, but handy for us to know.
- IP-address. When you surf the internet your computer can be recognised by your IP-address, much like the number plate on your car. When you place an order on our website we store your IP-address so we can recognise you when you return.
- Payment details. When you are ready to pay for your order, we will redirect you to a secure payment environment. In order to process payments, we use the services of Adyen. Adyen ensures the connections to all our payment providers. Your banking details will stay where they belong; with your bank or credit card company. We do not store your banking details. We only receive a message about whether the payment was successful.
Almost all of our gifts can be personalised by adding one or more photos. We treat your pictures as personal information. This means that we use them only to create your gift and never share them with other parties. To get to know our customers' interests better, we use smart computer software to analyse the content of your photos. The information won from this is stored anonymously. We store your photos for a maximum of 24 months after you place your order. If you prefer us not to store your photos, please contact our customer service.
Personalisation is key for our company. The gifts we create are unique and made especially for you. The same goes for our website and the emails we send you. We feel it is important to provide you with the correct ‘gift advice’ in every possible way. We also want to continue to improve ourselves and our gifts. To be able to do this we collect so-called customer behaviour. This may be the pages or gifts you view, the links you click and the gifts you add to your shopping cart (and perhaps don’t order after all). If you would prefer us not to store this information, log in with MySurprise and simply switch this off.
Where do we store your data?
Your personal information is stored in a secure database at our hosting service in the Netherlands. Our hosting service has all the right certifications that guarantee safe storage of your information. So there’s nothing to worry about. In some cases we will share your personal information with partners. This is always purely in support of our own services. We work only with companies that comply with European privacy laws, whether they are based in Europe or not.
What do we do with your information?
- Create your gift. We handle your design and personal photos carefully while creating your gift. Your gift will only be seen by the people creating it. All remaining prints will be destroyed. Some of our gifts are made by partners, who follow the same rules.
- Shipping your gift. To deliver your gifts as quickly as possible, we share your address information with our delivery services and related parties. We will often include your phone number, to ensure the shipping agent is able to contact you if you aren’t home or if the delivery is delayed.
- If you have a question, we'd love to be of service. In order to provide you with the best and quickest possible service by phone, email or chat, we use excellent customer service tools. These tools store your contact information and the contents of all our conversations. That way we know exactly what we discussed with you when you last contacted us.
- We keep you updated. When you order a gift from us, we will ask you if we can send you a newsletter every now and then. If you no longer want to receive these newsletters you can unsubscribe in MySurprise or through the unsubscribe link in the email.
- Better every day. One of our most important mottos is: 'exceed expectations'. To do that, we use your information, such as your behaviour on our website. We will also ask you what you think of us, right after you place your order on the thank you page or by means of a survey after you've contacted our customer service. Usually we do this ourselves, but sometimes we work with partners to ensure your feedback is being collected objectively.
- We provide personal ‘gift advice’. We love helping you find the right gift. To be able to understand which gifts are right for you we will use your information, for example your age and the gifts you have viewed before (unless you have specified your wish that we do not do this, of course). With this information we can provide you with personal advice though emails, offers on our website and handy advertisements on, for example, Facebook and Google.